Friday 27 June 2014

Shabbos thread for 29 Sivan

"For six days you may perform melachah, but the seventh day is a complete Sabbath, holy to the L-RD ... it is an eternal sign that in six days, the L-RD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed". -Exodus 31:15-17

Hi All, 

Another week and another Shabbat dawns, a chance to relax and refrain from work after a busy week. This means that it is time for another Shabbat thread, where people can share their hopes, worries, dreams, fears, a word of Torah, food and other stuff that we usually chat about over the Shabbat meal table. 

As readers will know, I've recently brought a min-grand piano. I'm not a rich bitch, I've just been saving for a while and done a few other jobs. plus my friends & family have chipped in a few pounds as well. I learned to play from a young age; being raised on a farm, the tv reception was crap and we used to entertain ourselves in other ways. Writing songs  is something I've been meaning to get back into, so whilst  I do enjoy playing old favourites as well as writing my own material; I have no illusions about making a career out of this, I just do it for my own personal satisfaction. I especially want to do this for Shabbat songs and hymns, so I'll kick off this thread with one. I don't have the music just yet as I'm still working playing it through on the piano to find the correct tune : 

Come now  O  Israel
It is time for Shabbat
The time to rest  & love
To reflect and pray
To eat our best meal on this finest day
Let us welcome the bride of Shabbat
Torah, Family, friends and community
May we all be one and one in unity

Light the candles now
Put your hands up
Sing  Shabbat Shalom
Sing the story
of our freedom
Sing, Shabbat  Shalom


We celebrate Shabbat
To Remember and Observe
Zakhor and Shamor!
Prayer, wine and bread
Kiddush and Challah
To be thankful for all we have
Torah, Family, friends and community
May we all be one and one in unity

You gave us Shabbat
Because you're the G-d of life
We're not here due to random chance
may we sing, celebrate and dance
Torah, Family, friends and community
May we all be one and one in unity

When we stand in Gan Eden,
Shall we not meet you face to face
With all our loved ones already there
Our Shabbat is just a portion of what
we'll see in that Holy Place
.
Torah, Family, friends and community
May we all be one and one in unity

Shabbat Shalom!



20 comments:

  1. Thanks David,


    I'm just at the piano now, trying to finalise the the tune. Not sure if it needs something fast or slow. Perhaps a bit of both (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to singing this song, but could you do one in Hebrew as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should know better27 June 2014 at 15:08

    Women CANNOT SING IN FRONT OF MEN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved to sing, especially Jewish prayers, and I'd love to lead the singing of the Friday night prayers at my synagogue. I know that this is not traditionally approved of, and it makes me feel a little like a modern day Yentl.... However aren't there women in the Torah that sing, such as Deborah andMiriam? I want to honor the Jewish tradition, but at the same time there are no men in our synagogue who can sing with the same effect upon the congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the lyrics to this song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do do know better27 June 2014 at 15:10

    The vibrations of a voice (any) resembles the very life force that created us, and Hashem would not give women talent and a sweet voice for singing beautiful melodies, if it was not meant to be heard by everybody. Hashem does not give wings to snakes. Devora the prophetess sang a song of praise to Hashem together with Barak the son of Avinoam. According to the simple reading of the text, Devora was married to Lapidot and not Barak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uplifting is the word I'd want to find .

    ReplyDelete
  8. The traditional belief is about men and women possibly lusting after one another. This idea needs to revised, given the greater openness of gay people in our congregations. Personally, I think it is a poor reflection on men especially, as we are not all controlled by our dicks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Given the men will be a brother and 2 gentiles (I believe that even in traditional circles this is OK?), SO I hardly see this as a problem, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! That is what I've done with the music for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, I'm glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sam


    Not for this one as I think translations can loose their meanings. I'd rather write in the Hebrew, fit the music to it and then translate roughly so people get an idea of what's being conveyed. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for that brief, but encouraging reply.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think singing in front of one's brother is OK? I am also sure, as David has said that there is a loophole as far as gentiles are concerned. So even on Ultra Orthodox grounds I'm not breaking any rules. Not that I necessarily care about these anyways. Oh and the piano can be played as one of my non-Jewish friends is coming round, so whilst I can't play after Shabbat starts, they can as they are not bound by our law.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the lyrics, how is the music coming on?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The singing and prayer is for G-d and not men. If they can't control their willies and sexual thoughts, this isn't a woman's problem, but a man's.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well what about Ladino and Jewish Arabic songs? And Irish ones for that matter?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will have to think about it, Esther as my Judeo-Arabic isn't good and my Ladino could be better! (:

    ReplyDelete

Comments aren't pre-moderated. Try and keep things civil. See our comments section for further details.