So here goes....
OK, so after thinking this through overnight,as I see things -
1. The Sunni and Shia hate each others guts and are going through a bloody civil war across the middle east, worse possibly than anything Europe ever saw during the height of the Reformation wars.
2. One camp is being led by Iran, the other Saudi Arabia.
3. The Christians of the region are caught between these two fires and are suffering terribly as a result.
4.Both sides are united in loathing for Israel and wanting to wipe her off the map.
5. No-one knows what to do about any of this.
So what does the west do? Is doing what Obama/Kerry & some GOP Senators are now saying- Carl can correct here, but I believe Lindsay Graham has said this as well- that there is a need to cooperate with Iran over the situation in Iraq. Isn't the danger there that the country will either fall under Iranian control or that the country will be divided along ethnic lines... which would upset NATO partner Turkey (re Kurds)...
What a bloody shambolic mess. What to do?
Having thought some more, we have several options -
1. Retake Iraq by force, occupy it and govern it as in the old mandate days, because we are responsible for this mess, after overthrowing Saddam.
2. Do nothing and possibly let Iran control Iraq as a puppet state.
3. Do nothing, watch the region go up in flames and quote Kissinger 'It is a pity they can't both loose' & deal with whoever comes up on top.
3. Co-operate with Iran and formally split Iraq into various states along ethnic and tribal lines
4. Do the same with Syria.
5. As part of 3 and 4, create a new Christian state for the regions Christians
6. Send in a
None of these are good options or satisfactory, depending on where you are sitting. I haven't come to a conclusion about any of these options. It is clear some of them simply won't be considered by western policy makers, but that doesn't in itself make them invalid. Are there any others? What do readers think?
Also- we must NOT forget to submit this situation to G-d in our prayers.