- if Israel strikes Iran's nuclear facilities?
- if Argentina re-invades the Falklands?
- if Taiwan is invaded & there is a Sino-American confrontation in the Pacific ?
- if Russia annexes Eastern Ukraine and continues in her campaign to reestablish the Soviet Union?
- if a country leaves the Euro?
- if the UK leaves the EU?
- if either or all of the UK, Mexico and Canada ask to be admitted into the USA ?
- if Labour is the largest party after the UK election in 2015, but is only the largest party due to Scottish votes [ & Scotland has already voted to leave, but a final breakaway deal is being ironed out] ?
Monday, 5 May 2014
Alternative history, what ifs and what will...
I'm a big fan of 'alternative history' fiction, which is basically a genre which takes a point in history and changes a particular historical event and creates a story out of it. One of the most written examples is 'what would have happened if the South had won the American civil war', but there are many 'tipping points' in history which one could address. I particularly like Harry Turtledove's 'worldwar' series, where in the middle of world war II, aliens invade, which dramatically changes the course of the war (& in which the aliens are portrayed as more compassionate that the Nazis which is an interesting point in its own right).
But another interesting genre is 'what will', rather than asking 'what if'... partly because I am a fan of the late Tom Clancy's work and also because this was sparked by this article in the Daily Mail, which speculates what will happen if Scotland votes to leave the UK in September. Whilst readers can speculate what will happen in that event, here are other things to speculate about -
'What will happen'